Tom and Joe's Diner - Altoona, PA

TOM AND JOE'S DINER ~ Since 1933
HomeMenuDaily SpecialsWhat's NewContact UsPictures & LogosIn The NewsBuy Gift Cards On-LineFeed BackSandwich ArtEmploymentFund RaisingCentral PA Live RecipesFacebook ForumA Final Tribute

                                                                         AwningSignSample.jpg

THE TOM AND JOE'S STORY

                                                                                  OrigninalLocationOutside_1930s.jpg                                               

Tom & Joe's has been serving Altoona, PA since 1933 and has become a local institution providing a fun and energetic diner atmosphere.  Founded by Tom Batrus and brotherJoe in December 1933 at the original location shown to the left.  Tom bought Joe out in the late1940s and Tom continued to run the business under the name Tom & Joe's.

In 1950, Tom moved the restaurant to the diner that was across the street (formerly the City Hall Diner).  This was the location and building for Tom & Joe's from 1950 through 1956.

1930s_Pic_Approx.jpg

  
 
                     TomJoe5.jpg         

 
 
 
 
In 2002, the upper diner section was remodeled by updating the seating, counter, and flooring.  Some of the original decor was still maintained including the knotty pine walls, counter tops, and table tops.  An interesting side note...when the diner was original rebuilt in 1956, all of the walls were to be stainless steel.  A mixup in material and availability resulted in the knotty pine walls that are there today.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In 1956, Tom Batrus had the small diner building he currently occupied removed and rebuilt an entirely new diner that closely resembles how Tom & Joe's looks today.  The grand re-opening was in June of 1956 and was much larger than the diner car that Tom and Joe's once occupied.  Some of the original hand drawn engineering plans from the construction of this new building are hanging in the diner today.

 
 
 
 
 
TomJoe_New.jpg

                                            DSC00039.JPG

In 2008, George Jr purchased the business from George Sr (Tom's son) to continue the operation of Tom and Joe's into its third generation of ownership.  George Sr. passed away May 29th, 2008 but his memory lives on strong with the many pictures that highlight his service to the restaurant that are found hanging up throughout the building.  He will be missed, but never forgotten.

In September of 2011, an addition was constructed to allow for more seating and updated rest rooms.  This provided the capability to handle small groups during the week for business meetings, breakfast and lunch groups, and parties.  During the weekend, the room allows for additional open seating.  This room can accommodate groups with up to 24 people depending on table orientation.

Photo0046_b.jpg

 
 
 
                                             Dining_Room_Remodel_2018_crop.jpg

 
 
In September of 2018, we refurnished both lower dining rooms to incorporate throw-back style 50's chairs, new table tops, and new booth sections.  Eventhough we added all new furnishings we made all attempts to preserve the style and atmosphere that is expected...even down to the boomerang tops and polished chrome chairs with matching booth pads.  

In 2018, a handicap accessible entrance ramp was added to the lower dining room entrance.  A bench was also added to the other side of the ramp.

Ramp_Entrance_2018.jpg